Ingredients for macaroni with a spicy tomato sauce and seitan meatballs
Ingredients for the tomato sauce:
- 1 leek
- 2 carrots
- 1 celery stalk
- 1 onion
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 small dried chilli
- 500 ml red wine
- 500 ml yeast-free vegetable stock
- 2 tins of peeled tomatoes (about 400 g)
- 4 tbsp tomato purée
- 150 ml olive oil (Amanprana Verde Salud)
- A pinch of fleur de sel (Amanprana)
- A pinch of pepper
- 4 dried bay leaves
Ingredients for the seitan meatballs:
- 1 Veggie Protein Bloc – Spelt
- 1 small onion
- 1 small fresh chilli
- 4 cloves garlic
- 1 tbsp cornflour
- 1 tbsp breadcrumbs
Preparation of macaroni with a spicy tomato sauce and seitan meatballs
- Start by peeling the onion and garlic and washing the vegetables. Finely crush the garlic and chop the vegetables into uniform pieces.
- Heat the olive oil in a large pot and lightly sauté the garlic.
- Add the remaining vegetables and the tomato purée and simmer gently for 5 to 8 minutes.
- Deglaze with red wine, add the vegetable stock and simmer briefly.
- Add the tomatoes and bay leaves.
- Turn the heat down to the lowest setting and simmer for about two hours.
Making the seitan meatballs:
- Chop the seitan, onion, garlic and chilli into chunks and pass through a mincer to obtain a finely-minced pulp.
- If you don’t have a mincer, you can use a blender.
- Add a tablespoon of cornflour and a tablespoon of breadcrumbs to the minced mixture and knead well to combine.
- If the mixture starts to get too dry, add a few drops of water and continue to knead.
- Cover the mince and leave to rest for 20 minutes.
- With damp hands, form the mince into balls of a uniform size, and deep-fry the balls in Amanprana coconut oil until golden brown.
- When the balls are golden brown, place them on kitchen paper until the excess oil has dripped off, then add to the sauce.
- Allow the sauce to continue cooking.
- Ten minutes before the end of the cooking time, remove the tomatoes and cube finely or purée, then return to the pan.
- Bring a pot of salted water to the boil and cook the macaroni until al dente.
- Serve the meatball sauce hot over the macaroni.
Tip of Stefano:
Meatballs and tomato sauce, the perfect combination
The combination of meatballs and tomato sauce is indeed a classic. In this recipe it’s delicious with macaroni, but you can of course serve it with any kind of pasta. Remember the famous spaghetti-and-meatballs scene in the film Lady and the Tramp? Why is this combination so perfect? The flavours fit together perfectly, like pieces of a jigsaw. Naturally, you can give this classic dish a completely different twist, to suit your own taste. Put some extra garlic or basil in the sauce or add a dash of cream. You can give it your own personal touch. This recipe replaces the traditional meatballs made from beef mince with vegetarian meatballs made from seitan.