Ingredients for vegan steak with creamy mushroom sauce.
- 2 Pepper Protein steaks
- 500 g brown mushrooms
- 200 g cashew nuts
- 4 cloves of garlic
- 3 tsp balsamic vinegar
- 1 tsp Fleur de sel (Amanprana Khoisan fleur de sel)
- A pinch of pepper
- 1 tsp herb mix (Amanprana ORAC Botanico mix)
- 2 tbsp red palm oil (Amanprana Red palm oil)
Preparation of vegan steak with creamy mushroom sauce.
- Clean the mushrooms and heat up in a pan with the red palm oil.
- Peel the cloves of garlic, slice, and add to the mushrooms and let cook for 4-5 minutes.
- Meanwhile puree the cashew nuts and about 300 ml of water in a mixer until it becomes creamy and milky.
- Add the balsamic vinegar to the mushrooms (while shaking the pan), then add the cashew-milk and bring to the boil.
- Season with pepper and fleur de sel.
- Gently fry the steaks in a little red palm oil.
- When it is golden brown on both sides, place on plates and garnish generously with the mushrooms and sauce.
- You can serve the dish with rice, vegetables or a sweet potato. Enjoy!
Tip of Stefano:
Vegan variant of the classic: steak with creamy mushroom sauce.
A steak with a mushroom and cream sauce is a true classic dish. The sauce will never disappoint and is open to many variations. In this recipe we use seitan instead of beef and the creamy mushroom sauce is a variation that is lactose-free and completely vegan, as it uses cashew nuts, giving it its creamy taste. The cashew nuts are barely discernible in the cream. The seitan and this vegan mushroom sauce make the dish a totally vegan meal.
Variations on mushroom sauce include mustard and balsamic vinegar
If you’d like a variation on the mushroom sauce, you can add a little balsamic vinegar like in this recipe, or you can add delicious herbs such as flat leaf parsley or rosemary, which go very well with the dish. For example, stir a spoonful of mustard into the sauce if you want it to have a little more bite or add some soya sauce for a more salty flavour.