- Teriyaki Protein Tops
- 1 small tin Kidney beans
- 1/2 Large onion
- 1 tbsp Liquid smoke
- 1 tbsp Instant mashed potatoes
- 1 bunch Fresh chives
- 1 tbsp Walnut oil (Amanprana Perigord extra virgin)
- 1 tsp Seasoning (Amanprana ORAC Botanico mix)
- 1 pinch Black pepper
- 1 pinch Fleur de sel (Amanprana)
- 1 tsp Paprika
Preparation of fresh vegan seitan pâté with chives and liquid smoke
- Drain the kidney beans and rinse briefly.
- Place the beans in a blender with the seitan.
- Peel and dice the onions, then sauté gently in a non-stick frying pan with a tablespoon of walnut oil.
- Take care that the onion doesn’t brown.
- Add the onions to the other ingredients in the blender.
- Purée the kidney beans, seitan and onion on a low setting for several minutes, until the mixture is fairly thick but still liquid.
- If the consistency is too solid, add a little olive oil and stir with a spatula, with the blender switched off, until the mixture is even.
- Set the blender to a high speed and add 1 teaspoon of seasoning, a little black pepper, a pinch of salt, 1 teaspoon of paprika and the liquid smoke.
- Mix it all together, then turn the blender off and taste the mixture. Add more spices if necessary.
- Scoop the mixture into a bowl.
- Cut the chives evenly with a sharp knife and add to the mixture.
- Use a whisk to stir in the instant mashed potatoes until the mixture has the consistency of spreadable sausage.
- Leave the spreadable sausage with chives to rest overnight.
- Eat with slices of cucumber, or on bread with ground pepper, or in any other way that takes your fancy.
Tip of Stefano:
Fresh vegan pâté with chives: tasty and healthy
Chives are an easy plant to grow in your home herb garden. They grow well, they’re cold hardy and they’re delicious in many different dishes. Chives belong to the garlic family, but have a much fresher taste. When you use chives in your recipes, you often don’t need to add as much salt, because chives themselves are so full of flavour.
Chives are good for you
Eating chives is good for you; among other things, they act as a diuretic, and like the rest of the garlic family they’re high in antioxidants. In chives, the antioxidants come in the form of thiosulfinites. Chives also stimulate your digestion and appetite. Although you probably don’t want to eat chives in large quantities, they’re still delicious plants to add to your dishes, such as this vegan pâté; you can also add chives to garlic butter, soups or a delicious salad.