Ingredients for lasagne with seitan and cheeseless cheese sauce – vegan and lactose-free
- 1 Veggie Protein Bloc – Spelt
- olive oil (Amanprana Verde Salud)
- 1 large onion
- 3 cloves garlic
- 3 carrots
- 1 celery stalk
- 1 leek
- 1 parsley root
- Liquid smoke flavouring
- 800 g tinned tomatoes
- 2 tbsp tomato purée
- 300 ml vegetable stock
- 150 ml vegan red wine
- 1 tbsp coconut blossom sugar (Amanprana Gula Java Brut)
- 2 tbsp oregano
- Lactose-free lasagne sheets
- Almond cream
For the vegan cheese sauce:
- 150 g new potatoes
- 60 g carrots
- 1 onion
- 250 ml water
- 60 g tahini (sesame paste)
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 tsp mustard
- 1 tsp fleur de sel (Amanprana)
- ½ tsp pepper
- 1 tsp lime juice
- ¼ tsp chilli powder
- 100 ml olive oil (Amanprana Verde Salud)
- 4 tbsp yeast flakes
- 1 pinch saffron (Amanprana)
Preparation of lasagne with seitan and cheeseless cheese sauce – vegan and lactose-free
- Start with the vegan cheese sauce.
- Bring a pot of water to a high simmer.
- Chop the potatoes, carrots and onion into small cubes and place in the pot.
- Cook until soft, place in a blender with the other ingredients and purée to the consistency of liquid cheese.
- If the mixture is too stiff, add a little extra olive oil. If the mixture is too runny, add more yeast flakes and purée again. Set aside.
Making the seitan mince:
- Cut the seitan into pieces and pass through a mincer.
- Alternatively, slice the seitan finely with a knife or use the mincing function on your food processor.
- The end result should be finely-minced seitan.
- Add a few drops of liquid smoke for flavour and mix well.
Preparing the vegetables for the lasagne:
- Peel the garlic and onion and wash the other vegetables.
- Cut into small cubes. Heat a little olive oil in a frying pan and sear the vegetables for about 5 minutes, until they turn a light brown colour.
- Add the minced seitan and fry for 8 to 10 minutes.
- Add the pepper, salt, red wine, sugar and oregano and boil for 10 minutes.
- Lower the heat and simmer for 20 minutes.
- Take the pan off the heat and leave to soak overnight.
- The following day, place the lasagne sheets, vegan cheese sauce and almond cream in layers in an ovenproof casserole dish and top with a final layer of seitan mince sauce with vegan cheese sauce on top.
- Bake for 40 to 45 minutes in an oven preheated to 180°C, then serve immediately. Bon appetit!
Tip of Stefano:
Lasagne recipe with seitan mince and vegan cheese sauce with almond cream
Classic lasagne recipes usually contain cheese made from animal milk. What is lasagne without ricotta, mozzarella or parmesan? For an Italian it is almost unthinkable, but if you want to make vegan lasagne, it will still be perfectly tasty if you use a vegan cheese sauce. It will be the perfect finishing touch to your dish. This cheese sauce is also great for people with a lactose allergy or lactose intolerance. The almond cream used in this recipe gives it a full, creamy flavour.
Seitan mince gives the lasagne a delicious taste and texture
Traditional Italian lasagne is usually made with beef mince. In our recipe, we use seitan mince. Passing seitan through a mincer cuts it into tiny pieces; a food processor can also be used to finely chop the seitan, so it’s easy to make delicious mince. Adding liquid smoke flavouring to the seitan mince gives it a mildly smoky flavour, making it taste a bit more like meat. By cooking the seitan in the same frying pan as the vegetables, it absorbs some of the flavours of the vegetables, making it taste extra good. A delicious recipe for a lasagne which is full of flavour!