- 4 Veggie Protein Steaks – Spelt
- 1 Dried chilli
- 2 tsp Fleur de sel (Khoisan fleur de sel)
- 4 tsp Fennel seeds
- 4 tbsp Dijon mustard
- 2 tbsp Coconut blossom sugar (Amanprana Gula Java Brut)
- 6 tbsp Walnut oil (Amanprana Perigord)
Preparation of marinated seitan with fennel seeds, mustard, coconut blossom sugar and walnut oil
- Mix the Dijon mustard with the coconut blossom sugar and set aside.
- Finely crumble the dried chilli, add the salt and grind with a pestle and mortar.
- Add the fennel seeds and grind briefly. Add the mustard and oil to this mixture and combine to make a creamy sauce.
- Remove the seitan from its packaging and pat dry with a paper towel.
- Coat the seitan with the mustard and fennel sauce, cover, and leave for 30 minutes in the fridge to allow the seitan to absorb the sauce.
- Lay the seitan steaks on a narrow grill or in a grilling basket and cook for 10 to 15 minutes, about 10 cm from the flame.
- Turn once during that time.
- Serve immediately, while hot. Bon appetit!
Tip of Stefano:
Using fennel / fennel seeds: a healthy, fresh and tasty ingredient
When you want to season a dish, seeds are probably not the first thing that comes to mind. But seeds really can add a lot of flavour, like the fennel seeds in this recipe for example. Fennel seeds are used in all kinds of different breads and also in many varieties of cheese. The seeds have a lovely fresh flavour. They’re not only extremely yummy to use in your recipes, but the essential oil made from fennel seeds is also an ingredient in medicines and cosmetics.
Fennel seeds are healthy. They help fight cramps and colic and are full of essential oils
Fennel seeds are often used to combat cramps, and are particularly effective against colic. In Saxon cultures, fennel seeds are even used as one of the nine sacred spices which have therapeutic qualities. So they’re a great ingredient to use in your cooking. Fennel seeds also contain 2% essential oils. The main essential oil is anethol, a substance with an anti-cancer effect. A 2011 Egyptian study concluded that fennel seeds contain high levels of antioxidants. Antioxidants attack the free radicals in your body. So this recipe for seitan marinated with fennel seeds is extremely healthy and natural, but best of all, it’s also delicious!