- 2 Pepper Protein Steaks
- 4 purple potatoes
- 200 g cashew nuts
- ¾ l water
- ½ tbsp vegetable bouillon
- 1 tbsp paprika powder
- 1 tsp coconut blossom sugar (Amanprana Gula Java Brut)
- Fleur de sel
- Herb mix (Amanprana ORAC Botanico Mix with chilli)
- Walnut oil (Amanprana Perigord extra virgin olive oil)
- 1 clove of garlic
Preparation of seitan pepper steak with vegan purple potato au gratin
- Place the cashew nuts, some water, the paprika powder, a dash of salt and pepper, the vegetable bouillon and the coconut blossom sugar in a mixer and blend at the highest setting.
- The mixture must be creamy but liquid, and if it is a little stiff then add some more water.
- Season it with a little herb mix.
- Preheat the oven to 250 °C.
- Remove the seitan from its packaging and place in an oven dish.
- Drizzle with walnut oil and scatter with a little herb mix, fleur de sel and pepper.
- Cut the purple potatoes into fine slices and layer on the seitan, alternating with the sauce.
- Ensure that the final layer is sauce.
- Bake in the oven for around 40-45 minutes.
- Test whether the potatoes are cooked and serve. Bon appétit!
Tip of Stefano:
The purple potato: what is it and what does it taste like?
They might not be that common yet, but the purple potato is taking over the world. They originally came from Peru and Bolivia and today are becoming ever more popular in Western cuisine. As the name suggests, both the peel and the flesh are purple. There are different types of purple potato but the taste is generally sweeter than normal potatoes and has a nutty flavour. Another advantage is of course the purple colour, making them a real eye-catcher.
The purple potato is not just colourful, it is healthy too
The potato is purple in colour because it contains a great deal of anthocyanin, which acts as an antioxidant and is very beneficial to your health. The purple potato contains more antioxidants than standard potatoes and is also packed with potassium. That makes the purple potato perfect for a side dish or as part of an oven dish, such as in the recipe below.