- Veggie Protein Bloc
- 100 mL White wine (vegan)
- 1 Large onion
- 100 mL Olive oil (Amanprana Verde Salud)
- 4 tbsp Good-quality mustard (medium hot)
- 1 Organic lemon (juice and grated rind)
- 4-6 tbsp Coconut blossom sugar (Amanprana Gula Java Brut)
- A dash Balsamic vinegar
- 1 pinch Multicoloured peppercorns
- 1 pinch Fleur de sel (Amanprana)
Preparation of sweet-and-sour mustard marinade recipe for seitan with coconut blossom sugar and balsamic vinegar
- Peel the onion and chop into small cubes.
- Fry the onion in a tablespoonful of olive oil over a high heat until the onion starts to brown.
- Deglaze the onion with a dash of white wine and add the mustard and coconut blossom sugar.
- Keep stirring until the coconut blossom sugar is completely dissolved.
- Add the other ingredients, stirring continuously. Purée with a stick blender until frothy and flavour with balsamic vinegar, multicoloured peppercorns and fleur de sel.
- Thickly coat the seitan with the marinade and place in the fridge for one hour, so that the mustard marinade and the sweet-and-sour flavours penetrate and are absorbed by the seitan.
- When the marinade has soaked in well on both sides of the seitan, fry for about 5 minutes until the seitan forms a nice brown crust. Bon appetit!
Tip of Stefano:
Mustard makes a yummy and healthy flavouring
A tiny mustard seed is very strong, as you’ve probably already discovered. A mustard seed is not much bigger than the head of a pin, but it’s packed with selenium, phosphorus, manganese and magnesium. Mustard is also a source of tryptophan. Tryptophan is an amino acid which affects your mental state. Its effects are positive, so it’s good for people who are sad or depressed. Mustard was very popular with the Ancient Greeks and the Romans, not only as a food but also on the skin.
Add mustard to your daily diet.
We mainly think of mustard as a spread to eat with cheese. But that tiny seed and the mustard made from it have many other uses. Mustard is healthy, so why not incorporate it more into your daily diet? For example, you could use the seeds in a salad, make some delicious mustard soup, dip your vegetables in mustard, add mustard to a quiche, or use it to make a vinaigrette. Healthy as well as yummy!