Ingredients for italian cannelloni recipe with seitan mince, chanterelles and vegan cheese sauce
Ingredients for the tomato and red wine sauce:
- 1 pack of soup vegetables (leeks, carrots, celery)
- 1 onion
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 small dried chilli
- 500 mL red wine
- 500 mL yeast-free vegetable stock
- 2 tins of peeled tomatoes (about 400 g)
- 4 tbsp tomato purée
- 150 mL olive oil (Amanprana Verde Salud)
- A pinch of fleur de sel (Amanprana)
- A pinch of pepper
- 4 dried bay leaves
Ingredients for the seitan mince:
- 400 g Veggie Protein Bloc
- 200 g cashew nuts, soaked
- 150 g chanterelles
- 1 small onion
- 1 small fresh chilli
- 4 cloves garlic
Ingredients for the vegan cheese sauce:
- 150 g new potatoes
- 60 g carrots
- 1 medium onion
- 250 mL water
- 60 g tahini (sesame paste)
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 tsp mustard
- 1 tsp fleur de sel (Amanprana Khoisan fleur de sel)
- ½ tsp pepper
- 1 tsp lime juice
- ¼ tsp chilli
- 100 mL Hernandos Catalan olive oil
- 4 tbsp yeast flakes
- 1 pinch saffron (Amanprana saffron)
Preparation of italian cannelloni recipe with seitan mince, chanterelles and vegan cheese sauce
- Start by peeling the onion and garlic and washing the vegetables.
- Finely crush the garlic and chop the vegetables into uniform pieces.
- Heat the olive oil in a large pot and lightly sauté the garlic.
- Add the remaining vegetables and the tomato purée and cook for 5 to 8 minutes at a gentle simmer.
- Deglaze the pot with red wine, add the vegetable stock and simmer briefly.
- Add the tomatoes and bay leaves. T
- urn down the heat to low and simmer for about two hours.
Making the vegan cheese sauce:
While the tomato and red wine sauce is simmering, start making the vegan cheese sauce.
- Chop the potatoes, carrots and onion into small cubes and cook in a little water until soft.
- Place in a blender with the other ingredients and purée to the consistency of liquid cheese.
Making the seitan mince:
- Chop the seitan, cashew nuts which have been soaking overnight, chanterelles, onion, garlic and chilli into cubes and pass through a mincer until finely minced.
- Add a little cornflour to the minced mixture and knead well to combine. If the mixture starts to get too dry, add a few drops of water until you reach the desired consistency.
- Cover and leave to rest for 20 minutes.
Stuffing and cooking the cannelloni:
- Carefully fill the cannelloni tubes with the seitan mince and arrange them in two ovenproof dishes.
- Pour the tomato and red wine sauce over the top, followed by the desired quantity of vegan cheese sauce.
- Preheat the oven to 180°C and bake the cannelloni for 15 to 25 minutes, until the cheese sauce is golden brown on top.
- Serve the cannelloni hot and enjoy this delicious vegan casserole.
Tip of Stefano:
An authentic pasta recipe: Italian cannelloni made vegan with seitan mince
Translated from Italian, cannelloni means ‘large pipes’. And that’s exactly what cannelloni is: wide, hollow tubes of Italian pasta. Cannelloni is therefore perfect for stuffing. Cannelloni originated in Italy, but like many other types of pasta, these days it is eaten virtually everywhere in the world. You can stuff it with the ingredients of your choice, but of course it is yummiest when you follow the most authentic Italian recipes. In our recipe for Italian cannelloni stuffed with seitan mince and chanterelles and topped with vegan cheese sauce, we use a traditional recipe as our base to give the dish the perfect flavour. But our recipe is also 100% modern; we’ve added vegan seitan and a vegan cheese sauce. By selecting your ingredients with care, you can enjoy a 100% vegetarian and vegan dish with a lovely creamy flavour.